Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is the leading, comprehensive, internet-based data research service used by academic, government, non-profit institutions, and corporate firms. WRDS provides the user with one location to access over 200 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Finance, Marketing, and Economics. WRDS provides flexible data delivery options including a simple but powerful web query method that helps reduce research time and executes research and strategy development on the WRDS Cloud.
Developed in 1993 to support faculty research at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, WRDS has since evolved to become the standard tool for a global research community of over 30,000 users in over 300 institutions in 27 countries.
WRDS data is compiled from independent sources that specialize in specific historical data. Some sources include Capital IQ, NYSE Euronext, CRSP, and Thomson Reuters. WRDS Provides seamless access to this extensive collection of databases, covering numerous financial, economic and marketing disciplines.
Flexible Delivery Options. WRDS may be accessed through three methods:
- Web interface. Research one firm or several hundred firms simultaneously. All the databases have a common interface and a consistent data format through online queries.
- PC SAS Connect. The power of a Unix system in a familiar Windows environment. Use SAS on your PC to submit jobs on the WRDS cloud or download data directly to your PC and analyze using our extensive site, programs and utilities.
- WRDS Cloud. The WRDS Cloud leverages our unique infrastructure to process submitted information producing results with greater proficiency, resulting in vastly shorter processing periods for our clients. With increased computing power, additional time can be focused on research and analysis. Connect to WRDS for a terminal session, run custom programs in SAS to retrieve data. Other languages available on the WRDS system include C and FORTRAN.
WRDS provides a common interface to a variety for databases, simplifying extraction and increasing productivity with:
- Support from a team of Ph.D. and IT Specialists. Our Ph.D. research specialists are available to you on-line through WRDS Support.
- E-Learning. A Library of on-demand video sessions covering a host of topics, presented by our research experts.
- Timely Updates. Our experienced IT specialists convert and install database updates, for immediate access.
- Learning Environment. WRDS enables faculty to demonstrate real-world applications of principles, using actual company data in place of hypothetical examples.
- Data Validation, Integrity and Consistency.
Visit http://whartonwrds.com for more information about WRDS.